Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Knox's First Month


We have been so fortunate to have a very easy baby! Knox has eaten and slept well from the start and been "very chill," as his daddy would say. During his first month he ate every 2 hours during the day, and by his second or third week he was doing about 4 hours between feedings during the night. He only fussed when he was hungry - we had no sleepless nights of crying with him.  For his first 2 weeks of life Knox slept either in my arms or my mom's in the rocker in his room, or in a bassinet in my mom's room. I just couldn't sleep when he was in his bed in the room with me because I responded to every noise he made and was too scared to close my eyes for fear he would stop breathing and I wouldn't know. So he mostly stayed with Mom, and she would change his diaper and bring him to me when he needed to eat, and then put him back to sleep. It was a great setup! By the time my mom left (oh sad day!) and he moved into our room I was over the first mom jitters and slept just fine with him next to my side of the bed.

  Knox's first week home he had some issues with pooping. He did great at the hospital, but after several days at home there was still no action in the diaper. At his 1st appointment our pediatrician took drastic measures to induce pooping (I'll leave out the details so as not to embarrass my son on the world wide web). I had only come to the appointment equipped with one extra diaper which the nurse had already used after weighing him, so the doc had to improvise by creating the world's biggest diaper using a big disposable towel thing and tape. It looked ridiculous. 


After the doctor's appointment there still wasn't much action. That weekend we made a trip to Houston for his cousin Jackson's birthday. Knox had not one, but three blowouts! Since then things seem to be pretty regular and I wonder why we were so worried - we saved a lot of money on diapers during that first week! 

We introduced the pacifier at 2 weeks, at which time he could take it or leave it, but by 3 weeks he was really starting to enjoy it. He loved to be swaddled, but always managed to get his left hand or arm out. It didn't seem to keep him from sleeping though. He loved the little bouncy chair seat with the vibration turned on. He would fall right to sleep once we turned on the switch.



His umbilical cord finally dried up and fell off around week 3, thanks to his father's determination to dry it out with alcohol and q-tips. He has the cutest little belly button you ever saw!

Knox had his first smiles between 3 and 4 weeks old. I don't know exact date of his official "first smile" - I wasn't sure at first how to tell the difference between gas and reflexes and an actual social smile, so he may have smiled even earlier than that. Either way, he smiles when you get close to his face and talk to him and it melts my heart every single time.



No comments:

Post a Comment